P52W01: All Set

Sunday, January 10, 2010 | |


The Goal: 52 Weeks. 52 Photos. Not just snapshots. These have to be images that I would gladly display in my portfolio, or include in a photo book.

Up to the last minute I didn't know what I was going to shoot as the first entry of the project. I mulled over several ideas this past week, and as the batteries finished charging last night I picked one. This was not it.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy. But I didn't think it was going to be this hard.

In the original concept I wanted to include my shadow as a background element, but I just couldn't make it work. The walls, the shadow, the lighting--all wrong. After 30 minutes of test shots, and relocating twice, I admitted defeat. Plan B.

Side lighting then. I read about this from Scott Kelby and Joe McNally. They used it on portraits of male athletes. (I'm not an athlete, but I thought I can make it work a bit.) I had a couple of costume changes, but then decided to keep it simple. White shirt, tripod/lightstand bags, and camera strap. (Strap only because I was shooting with my only DSLR.)

Set timer. Walk to postion. Emote a bit. Click. (Repeat until satisfied and/or close to fainting due to blood loss from a million mosquitoes feasting on me.)

I picked this photo because I look like I'm all set and about to go out on a shoot, because that's what this project really is. It's a 52-week-long shoot. :)



And here's the lighting diagram if you're into that kind of stuff:

- arland -

5 comments:

ChaCha said...

galing ng lighting sa face mo Arland! =)

Unknown said...

Thanks Cha! Nakailang subok din ako dyan.

Anonymous said...

best angle!! 4 hours in the making. :P

Week 2, walang tao ha?

Unknown said...

@kai kung mukha akong payat dyan, dahil yun sa inubos na ng mga lamok ang dugo ko.

walang tao? ok, di ko na gagamitin yung picture mo for week 2...

Kai Cruz said...

I could be a pig...